I am in no way a Minnesota Vikings fan…but I hope Adrian Peterson breaks the single season rush record for a few reasons:
1. He is the kind of athlete who plays through the injuries….he works hard to make sure he stays on the field….you would need to amputate a limb for him to not play football.
2. His attitude is top notch. He is not cocky and full of himself like most of the other pro athletes these days. He doesn’t have the need to tell you how good he is all the time…he just shows you.
3.He gives his team credit for his success….he knows there are 10 other dudes on the field with him at any given moment…without them…he isn’t going anywhere.
4. AP also doesn’t get arm tackled… He powers through it….there are too many running backs in the league who fall down if a strong wind blows their way….it is good to see a guy that is still willing to fight with every ounce of his existence for that extra inch (see also Marshawn Lynch).
5. Every person that meets him says he has a hearty handshake and a great demeanor. This is a big one. The courtesy of looking someone in the eye and giving them a nice strong handshake is apparently slowly dying off. I personally always try to do this. It is just how I was raised. It is the right thing to do.
6. He has no off the field issues. Have you ever heard of Adrian Peterson in a nightclub during the season?? What about being involved with a DWI, guns, drugs, girls, or any of that nonsense??? NO. No you haven’t…..because the guy knows how to handle himself. I am sure he has his fun….but he must have taken lessons from the “Derek Jeter’s Guide to Bitches, Booze, and Ballin: The Proper Way to Act as a Professional Athlete in Today’s Society”.
7. He is gracious to the fans. He will stop and sign autographs for the kids. He is a genuinely good dude.
8. He did a cameo in “The League”. This means he doesn’t take himself too seriously. If you can do a cameo in a show about fantasy football….then you must have a decent sense of humor.
9. I just like watching this guy play football. Knowing that he is all of the above….makes you root for him. Too many athletes out there with bad attitudes. Too many athletes just doing it for the money. You can tell that Adrian Peterson still has an intense love for the game…..and if anyone is going to break this record….it shouldn’t just be the guy who can run the fastest…..it should be an all around athlete and exceptional human being.
Good Luck Adrian….I’m rooting for you today.